Fifteen Days

Thursday, March 15, 2012

In case you don't know by now, I'm a little kind of somewhat very type A.

I like plans. And organization. And knowing what's going to happen next.

Today is March 15. By March 30, we have to make a decision on whether or not we're moving to California for Wesley to pursue a PhD at Fuller Seminary. That's in 15 days. Big decision. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15.

Our other option is Asbury Seminary. It's a little outside of Lexington in Wilmore, Kentucky. Neither of us have any desire to move to Wilmore, Kentucky, so if Wes ends up at Asbury, we will figure out a way to commute him there for classes. Since he can't drive, that will be a little tricky. It may involve him renting a room in that area and staying there several days out of the week. To be honest, I have no idea how it will work, but I'm confident we could figure it out.

Last week we found out that Wes received a full scholarship for the coursework part of his PhD at Fuller. {Dissertation writing is a separate matter, but we won't know anything about those details until the time comes.} It's hard for me to explain just how shocking that news was. We expected nothing from Fuller... a few thousand dollars, maybe. But a fellowship covering the total cost of his tuition? Never would've dreamed it.

We are still waiting to hear from Asbury about $. Hubs emailed on Tuesday and asked them when we might know, indicating that we are looking at another school that requires a decision by the end of the month. They said "soon."

In the meantime, let's make a pro/con list, shall we?

Fuller Pros
-Sunny California! It could be fun to live in Cali for a while, right?
-A change of scenery -- not just weather wise. So many of my Louisville friends have moved. Louisville seems transient in nature, especially as it relates to the Seminary. Maybe it's our turn to go?
-A fantastic PhD program. Wes would work under Christopher Hays, a scholar he greatly admires. And the nondenominational degree could help his job prospects in the future.
-I could get a puppy!

Fuller Cons
-Super expensive... certain financial ruin would be in our future. Which is depressing when we've worked so hard to save money in Louisville. It would be spent so quickly. :(
-Related to expense -- Wes would have to work while pursuing his PhD. I know he doesn't want to.
-Far from family. Like, really far!
-I probably couldn't afford to feed my puppy.
-I'd have to get a new job (obviously). Ugh.

Asbury Pros
-We could stay in Louisville, and I could keep my job. I really, really, really don't want to leave my job. Really. I love our company, I love my boss, I love Village Manor & its owners. I love the residents I serve. It would be so very hard to leave.
-We could afford for Wes not to work. And we could potentially continue to save money for the future {house down payment, etc}.
-Close to family.

Asbury Cons
-We would have to figure out how to commute Wes to Wilmore on a weekly basis.
-More winters in Kentucky... I hate winter.
-No puppy. :(

So can you see why this decision is practically impossible? The truth is, a new adventure seems kind of fun. The truth is, I love our life in Louisville.

I'll keep you posted.... hopefully soon. :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Raleigh pro: your best friend

Raleigh con: none!

Problem solved. :)

Beth said...

Hahaha. I love you. :)

LegalEagle said...

Good luck with your decision, Beth! I am sure you and Wes will make the right one for you and your family!

Amanda said...

If you stayed in Louisville, you don't have to live in VM, right? There's a house for sale across the street. You could have a puppy there.

Say something...